Saturday, August 16, 2008

Vanity, Say Hello To My Friend, Vanity.

Today I had an interesting moment of reiteration; reiteration because it was simply another example of a long standing truth of which I have been well aware of for years. I was busy. I was in a rush. I had spent the normal amount of time getting ready in the privacy of my own apartment, but somehow that never quite seems enough. The car mirror check/final primping session always seems to follow. So as I sat at a red light on the constantly-crowded university parkway, I decided to flip open the mirror and have a little looksee. I zeroed in on a little white monster sitting on my chin almost immediately. Without thinking, my fingers rose to my face to get rid of the dirty little confidence killer. It was quick and simple; no big deal. I sat there for a minute, feeling slightly disgusted and ashamed of myself; like I had committed some social sin. I quickly glanced over to the car sitting next to me to make sure no one had witnessed my less than prideful moment. The lady in the car next to me was all hunched up in front of the mirror, foofing and fluffing and poking as well; far too busy to notice me. My mother always taught me, "Take as long as you want to get ready at home, but once you leave the house, don't focus on what you look like any more." Here's the moral of the story: In case you do, chances are everyone else is equally obsessed with themselves to notice your flaws.

4 comments:

Sarie said...

So true! I love this. Great explanations!! xoxoxo

Unknown said...

So true.. Remember that night we got ready for the "state single adult conference"? It seems like we sat in Daniel's car for like an Hour making sure we looked Just PERFECT. HAHA! I'm sure no one cared but ourselves. Don't worry Katie, it changes when you've been married for almost 2 years. That's probably a bad thing.

Miss Candy Anderson said...

Can I just tell you I absolutely love you?

Lisa Hobbs said...

You make me laugh! I miss you! You looks like you had an awesome experience in the Phillipines! You are so stinkin cute. I hope Alli turns out like you. Email me so that I can send you an inviute to my blog since I made it private. And I don't have your email!! lisa_hobbs@hotmail.com