Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feel The Love


These old pictures of my parents when we were little kids are so adorable, I had to put them on. Props to all the parents who emulate this same behavior that my parents taught us so well: Enjoy your kids, exercise a LOT of patience and kindness, and just teach them how to LOVE; both themselves, and others.



Today I have been pondering being a parent. Although I am not yet a mother, I can't help but watch as people my own age start having kids. I watch all of the sacrifices they make and all of the effort and patience that goes into caring for little children. I have always known this fact: Kids are hard work. But I never quite realized what a true labor of love it is until I started watching it first hand. And although I still can't quite fully appreciate it since I don't have any kids of my own, I just keep having these thoughts of awe and reverence towards my parents. I can already tell that I am going to be a paranoid, overprotective mother (pray I marry someone who will fight for my kids' rights to have some real fun). So I can't blame my parents when they would get upset when I didn't come home on time, or when I wanted to do something that I thought was a brilliant idea, but was in actuality ridiculously stupid. I think they did a pretty good job of not freaking out about all the many stupid things I did! I suddenly have so much remorse for my completely-selfish-bratty-stage. And for all of the times I bathed myself in vaseline, tore the cupboards apart, called 9-1-1 for fun, and countless poopy diapers, I should probably say "Thank You" to my parents and also throw out an "I'm Sorry". (For the rude teenager phase; I couldn't really do anything about the poopy diapers.)

4 comments:

Sarie said...

Too bad I'm going to have to wait almost two decades for my thanks. I have told my mom thanks so many times since Grace was born!!

Unknown said...

Those pics are timeless! You are going to be such a wonderful mother Katie! Your children are so lucky to have you!..and Jonah is so lucky to have you as an aunt!

breymom said...

Hi Katie,
I don't know your latest e-mail I still have soccer babe heehee. I'm glad I found your BlOG The wedding pics are so cool and I totally think you'll be a rockn' cool mommy someday!

The Patty Cake House said...

Ok - soooooooo cute!!